Looking for how to help out friends and family who need more data? This guide is here to show you how to share data on MTN.
Data sharing allows MTN subscribers to transfer data to another line so that a person can use it. Whether someone you know has run out of data before payday or you have some data you won’t use up; sharing is a great way to get more value from your plan.
In this guide, I will explain how to share data on MTN either through the MTN data transfer code, the MyMTN app or via SMS from your phone. We have outlined the steps for each method so you can choose the most convenient option. By the end of this guide, you’ll know exactly how to transfer and share on MTN.
How to Share Data From MTN to MTN
There are three main methods to share MTN data:
- Using USSD Codes
- Through the MyMTN App
- Using SMS
How to Transfer Data on MTN Using USSD Codes
The code to transfer data on MTN is *321#, and it is one of the easiest ways to share data from your data balance. Here is how to carry this out:
- To share data using USSD codes, follow these steps:
- Dial *321# on your MTN phone.
- Select the “Gift” option.
- Choose “Transfer from Data Balance”.
- Enter the recipient’s MTN number.
- Enter the amount of data you want to share (up to 3GB).
- Confirm the data share transfer.
How to Share Data Using the MyMTN App
This is another easy way to share your data with your friend using an MTN line, but it still needs to be simplified compared to the USSD code. If the USSD Code does not work, do not panic. You can use this method:
- Download the MyMTN app from the App Store or Google Play store.
- Log in with your MTN number.
- Go to the “More” section and select “Share & Borrow”.
- Choose “Share Airtime/Data” and then select Data.
- Enter the recipient’s number and amount to share.
- Confirm transfer.
How To Share Data From MTN To MTN Using SMS
Using the SMS method is very easy to navigate through, but it is slower than other methods. If the last two methods do work, you can easily use this:
- Send an SMS in the format “Transfer number amount” to 321.
- For example, “Transfer 080xxxxxxx 500” to share 500MB.
- You can share up to 3GB per day using this method.
That covers the main steps to share MTN data using USSD codes, the MyMTN app, or SMS.
How to Check Your Shared Data Balance
After sharing data on MTN, you should confirm if the data deducted from the sender’s line has been successfully credited to the receiver. Here’s how you can check the MTN data share balance:
- Dial *312*4# to check your MTN data share balance.
- Alternatively, you can check the transferred data balance on your MTN line through SMS. Send a text with the number 2 to 312, and you’ll receive a reply containing your MTN data balance.
These easy steps ensure you can verify the data share and stay informed about your remaining data balance.
How to Buy MTN Data for a Friend in Nigeria
MTN still covers you if you don’t have enough data to share with your loved ones. You can directly buy the data for them; here is how to do it:
- Dial *321#
- Select the second option, “Gift data.”
- Then select the second option, “buy for a friend.”
- Decide on the amount of data your friend needs based on their usage habits.
- Consider your friend’s usage, compare prices, and select an MTN data plan that fits their needs and budget.
- Follow MTN’s prompts to complete the data transfer. Note that the maximum daily transfer limit is 3GB.
Note: Transferring and sharing data is completely free on MTN, so there are no applicable charges for using the MTN gifting service.
So many MTN users have asked the question of “how to share data on MTN to another network.” It should also be noted that you can only share data between MTN lines – data cannot be transferred from MTN to other networks like Glo, Airtel or 9mobile. You can only share your regular active data plan and cannot transfer bonuses or special data bundles.
The daily limit MTN sets for sharing data is 1GB (1024MB) per day. The minimum amount of data that can be shared in a single transaction is 50MB, while the maximum is 500 MB. Users have the ability to make up to two data transfers per day.
An individual account holder can send data requests up to 5 times daily but can receive unlimited requests from others. There is no set limit on the amount of data one can buy for friends using the service, as the data will be deducted from the purchaser’s account balance. All data shared and purchased must be transferred between MTN lines only.
What Is MTN Data Gifting?
MTN understands how important it is for friends and family to stay connected. That’s why they provide a service called MTN Data Gifting, which allows account holders to share their mobile data with others easily.
MTN Data Gifting, also referred to as MTN Data Share, is a feature that lets users transfer a portion of their active data bundle to other MTN lines. Data can be shared in two ways: transfer data from your balance to another number or purchase a new data bundle to gift to someone else. This sharing is done between MTN subscribers only.
However, MTN Data Gifting provides a convenient way for all customers to participate, regardless of account type, SIM card generation, or data plan. Both new and existing prepaid and postpaid subscribers on 2G, 3G, or 4G networks can transfer data bundles of any size as long as they have an active balance.
MTN Data Gifting is an innovative service that allows both prepaid and postpaid customers to easily share data with others, regardless of their account details or network technology. Removing restrictions on data plan types, SIM card generations, and bundle sizes provides a simple and inclusive solution for all MTN subscribers to participate in data transfers.
This wide accessibility means more customers can enjoy the benefits of sharing data, strengthening connectivity, and helping people stay in touch through their mobile devices. MTN Data Gifting demonstrates the company’s commitment to bringing people together through innovative services convenient for its diverse customer base.