If you have always dreamed of being a pilot, you must know the top aviation schools in Nigeria to achieve this dream easily.
According to Boeing’s 2022-2041 Pilot and Technician Outlook, the continent will require approximately 20,000 pilots, 21,000 technicians, and 26,000 cabin crew members to meet the industry’s needs. This emphasizes the urgent need to address the shortage of skilled aviation professionals in order to support the growth and development of the aviation sector in Africa.
This further makes it important for aspiring pilots to find the top aviation schools in Nigeria. By doing so, you can receive quality education and training without the hefty expense of studying abroad.
In this article, we will explore the leading aviation schools in Nigeria, including detailed information on tuition fees. Additionally, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to apply to these schools, ensuring a smooth and seamless application process. So, let’s embark on this exciting journey together as we discover the top aviation schools in Nigeria where your dreams can take flight.
Top 10 Aviation Schools in Nigeria and Their Fees
|1||Nigeria College of Aviation Technology||Kaduna||₦5 million – ₦14 million|
|2||International Aviation College||Kwara||₦20,000 – ₦25,000|
|3||Dhaewood Aviation Business School||Lagos||₦50,000 – ₦7.5 million|
|4||Universal School of Aviation||Lagos||₦50,000 – ₦230,000|
|5||Sky Aviation Training Center||Lagos||–|
|6||Aeroconsult Aviation||Lagos||₦95,000 – ₦800,000|
|7||Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management||Lagos||₦439,500|
|8||Crew Training Institute||Lagos||₦20,000 – ₦310,000|
|9||Landover Aviation Business School||Lagos||₦70,000 – ₦230,000|
|10||Javi Aviation Support Services||Lagos||₦185,000 – ₦305,000|
1. Nigeria College of Aviation Technology
The Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT) in Zaria is known for its 50+ years of experience in providing high-quality aviation training. It has been recognized by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) as the best in the world for training instructors, highlighting its excellence.
NCAT offers a wide range of programs, including flying school, aeronautical engineering, aircraft maintenance, aviation management, and air traffic services/communication courses.
The college has advanced training equipment like a 3D Visual Tower Simulator and aircraft for practical training. NCAT’s association with ICAO TRAINAIRPLUS and registration with the Aviation Accreditation Board International further ensure its adherence to global standards. Students rate the school highly, with a 4.7/5 star rating, and the college provides an excellent, safe, and conducive learning environment.
2. International Aviation College
The International Aviation College (IAC) in Ilorin is one of the top 10 aviation school in Nigeria, recognized for its excellence in training pilots and flight dispatchers. As a state-owned college financed by the Kwara state government, IAC offers comprehensive programs and aims to produce disciplined professionals.
With a strategic location near Ilorin International Airport and state-of-the-art facilities, including aircraft hangars and classrooms, IAC provides a conducive learning environment. The college is equipped with modern infrastructure, highly qualified instructors, and a fleet of meticulously maintained aircraft. Student surveys rate the school at 4.5/5 stars, highlighting the quality of education received.
3. Dhaewood Aviation Business School (DABS)
Dhaewood Aviation Business School (DABS) is a private institution focused on providing quality training in the aviation, travel, and tourism industry. Since its establishment in 2005, DABS has successfully trained and graduated numerous students who now hold management positions in various organizations.
The institute offers full-time, part-time, and self-study programs to accommodate different student needs. DABS also provides specialized courses in areas such as strategic planning, marketing, and business management for professionals aiming to set up their own aviation or tourism businesses. The instructors at DABS are certified by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), and the institute prepares students for IATA external diploma examinations.
With the training relationships, DABS has with institutions worldwide, DABS ensures the highest aviation and travel education quality. According to our student surveys, the aviation school has received a rating of 4.4/5, demonstrating the satisfaction of its students.
4. Universal School of Aviation
The Universal School of Aviation (USA) is recognized as one of the top 10 aviation schools in Nigeria. Its focus is on quality training and industry collaborations. USA ensures high employability for its graduates. The school is licensed by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority and offers programs in air ticketing/reservation, flight attendant, travel agency management, tourism management, and more.
The Universal School of Aviation’s main objective is to meet the aviation industry’s needs. It serves as a production line, supplying qualified staff to move the industry forward.
It has received prestigious awards such as the BID Leadership Award for International Leadership Quality of the Year 2018 and the MamaJ Aviation Career Development Institute of the Year 2018. Student surveys rate the school highly, with a 4.2/5 star rating.
5. Sky Aviation Training Center
The Sky Aviation Training Center is a top aviation institute located in Lagos, Nigeria. It caters to professionals working in airlines and travel agencies, providing them with valuable training and knowledge in the aviation industry.
Established in 2015, the Sky Aviation Academy has gained recognition and trust in the field of education. In 2017, it was included in the category of Education Trust, further highlighting its commitment to delivering relevant and high-quality education. The academy was founded by a group of esteemed intellectuals and academicians who aimed to provide exceptional educational courses, programs, and practical experiences in areas such as the Aviation Industry, Hotel Management, Flight Booking, and Travel Business.
The Sky Aviation Training Center has received positive feedback from students, earning a rating of 4.2/5 stars in our survey.
6. Aeroconsult Aviation
Aeroconsult Aviation is a top aviation school in Nigeria, providing exceptional training and certifications to aspiring pilots. Accredited by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Aeroconsult specializes in aviation consultancy, flight operations, and aero engineering. Founded in 1993, the institution offers state-of-the-art facilities and experienced instructors.
As an Approved Training Organization, Aeroconsult offers courses such as Quality Management Systems for Airlines and Flight Dispatcher/Flight Operations Officer training. With a 4.1/5 star rating from student surveys, Aeroconsult Aviation is highly regarded for its quality training. Prepare for a successful aviation career at Aeroconsult, a leading institution in the Nigerian aviation industry.
7. Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management
The Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management (ACATM) is a top 10 aviation school in Nigeria, recognized for its excellence in training professionals for the rapidly growing aviation industry. The school offers personalized training services, ensuring students have the skills and knowledge to succeed in the aviation sector.
ACATM’s curricula are forward-thinking, and instructors are certified by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). The school caters to the needs of working professionals by providing full-time, part-time, and personalized programs in aviation, travel, and tourism.
ACATM offers air ticketing and reservations courses, cabin crew training, cargo handling, and travel agency management. The school has earned a 4.0/5 star rating from student surveys, reflecting the high quality of training provided.
8. Crew Training Institute
Crew Training Institute (CTI) is a top aviation school in Nigeria, known for its excellence in the industry. With experienced cabin crew instructors and modern equipment, CTI offers comprehensive training programs for aspiring cabin crew members. The institute has received awards for its exceptional training services.
Approved by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) as an Authorized Training Organization (ATO), CTI provides high-quality education in a state-of-the-art facility. The institute specializes in delivering remarkable experiences, ensuring the highest quality of training for aspiring cabin crew members. Student surveys consistently rate CTI with 3.9/5 stars for the quality of training received.
9. Landover Aviation Business School
Landover Aviation Business School (LABS) is a prestigious aviation training institute in Nigeria. Established in 2002, LABS has become one of the top aviation schools in the country. The school offers a wide range of aviation courses through its three faculties: Travel & Tourism, Aviation Management, and Aviation Technical & Operations.
LABS is licensed by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and authorized by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). The institute is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and staffed by certified IATA instructors. LABS has received numerous awards and recognitions, including producing the best-performing graduate in the IATA Foundation in Travel and Tourism Course.
With affordable tuition fees and a commitment to excellence, LABS prepares students for successful careers in the aviation industry. LABS’ reputation, industry accreditation, and recognition reflect its commitment to providing high-quality education and training in the aviation sector. Students have rated LABS with a commendable 3.9/5 star rating, reflecting the quality of training received.
10. Javi Aviation Support Services & Training School
Javi aviation Support Services and training school is a leading aviation consultancy company based in Lagos, Nigeria. Javi is an authorized training centre for IATA/UFTAA programs and an NCAA-approved Aviation Training Institution in Nigeria.
They also offer various services, including hospitality, flight operations, cargo handling, and aeronautics training. As a registered company with the Corporate Affairs Commission, Javi Aviation provides executive aircraft charter, ground handling, consultancy, and other airport-related services.
With their commitment to excellence and industry recognition, Javi Aviation is recognized as one of the top aviation schools in Nigeria. Students have rated the school with a commendable 3.9/5 star rating, reflecting the quality of training received.
Other Accredited Aviation Schools in Nigeria and Their Fees
|1.||Gibair Aviation Academy||Lagos||150,000-200,000|
|2.||International Institute Of Aviation Training||Lagos||100,000 and above|
|3.||Institute Of Aviation and Maritime Studies||Lagos||70,000 and above|
|4.||Lagos Aviation And Maritime Business Academy||Lagos||90,000-120,000|
|5.||Riteway Aviation School||Lagos||100,000 and above|
|6.||Belgrade Aviation Training Institute||Lagos||100,000 and above|
|7.||Dot Aviation Training Institute||Lagos||100,000 and above|
|8.||Continental Aviation School||Ogun||50,000 and above|
|9.||Obafemi Awolowo University Aviation Training Institute||Osun||100,000 and above|
|10.||Falcon Aviation Training||Lagos||100,000 and above|
Aviation School Programs and Career Prospects in Nigeria
Aviation schools offer a wide range of career options within the aviation industry. Here are some of the potential career paths you can pursue after attending aviation school:
Aviation schools offer comprehensive training programs for individuals aspiring to become pilots. These programs provide a pathway to various career opportunities, such as becoming a commercial pilot for passenger or cargo planes or pursuing a private or military pilot career. In addition to obtaining a basic pilot’s license, aviation schools provide advanced courses that are designed to enhance your qualifications.
These courses include Instrument Ratings, which focus on flying by instruments and are crucial for navigating adverse weather conditions, low visibility, or flying at night. The Multi-Engine Rating course enables you to operate aircraft with multiple engines, expanding your capabilities as a pilot.
Furthermore, aviation schools offer Night Rating courses, which equip you with the skills to fly during nighttime. Aviation schools also offer specialised training like the Jet Orientation Course (JOC) for flying jet aircraft and Multi-Crew Coordination (MCC) for enhancing your skills in coordinating with a multi-crew environment during flights. JOC familiarises you with jet aircraft procedures and characteristics, while MCC focuses on effective teamwork with other crew members.
Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant
Aviation schools offer specialised training programs for individuals aspiring to become cabin crew or flight attendants. These professionals play a vital role in ensuring passenger safety, providing comfort, and delivering excellent customer service during flights. The training programs provided by aviation schools cover many areas essential for cabin crew/flight attendants, including safety procedures, customer service, in-flight service, security and regulations, teamwork, and crisis management.
Additionally, courses in Hospitality Management can also be part of the training curriculum. Cabin crew and pilots take the Aviation Security Basic Course (AVSEC), which equips them with vital skills in aviation security, threat assessment, and emergency response. AVSEC training enables them to handle security situations and ensure passenger and aircraft safety.
Aviation schools train individuals to become skilled aircraft mechanics or technicians. These professionals inspect, repair, and maintain various aircraft systems and components. They perform routine inspections, troubleshoot issues, and ensure compliance with safety standards. Graduates can work in aircraft maintenance facilities, airlines, or repair stations.
Certain positions within the field may require additional certifications, such as Avionics, Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certificate, Aircraft Batteries Maintenance, Aircraft Ground Lighting System, Airfield Ground Lighting Visual Night Landing System, Aircraft Navigation System Management, and Aircraft Maintenance Licence.
Air Traffic Controller
Aviation schools may offer courses to become air traffic controllers. These professionals ensure aircraft’s safe and efficient movement in the air and on the ground, managing traffic flow and providing guidance to pilots.
Aviation schools may offer courses to become an aircraft dispatcher. Dispatchers work with pilots to plan flight routes, monitor weather conditions, and ensure safe and efficient operations.
Aviation Safety Inspector
Aviation schools may offer training for aviation safety inspectors. These professionals conduct inspections and audits to ensure safety regulations and protocol compliance. One possible qualification for aspiring inspectors is a Postgraduate Diploma in Air Traffic Safety Electronics.
A career in aviation management offers numerous opportunities for individuals interested in the business aspects of aviation. Aviation management involves overseeing and managing various areas, including airport operations, airline management, aviation finance, aviation safety, and airport administration.
Within this field, specific focus areas include Airline Ground Operation Management, Airline Operation Management, Airline Passenger Handling Management, Airline Revenue Management, and Airline Security and Safety.
Aviation schools offer diverse courses catering to various aspects of airport operations and management. These courses aim to equip individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge required to excel in different roles within the aviation industry. Here are some examples of the courses typically available:
- Airport Operations and Management: This course focuses on ensuring the smooth functioning of airport operations by coordinating services and managing staff effectively.
- Cargo Handling: This course focuses on proper cargo management, documentation, and handling procedures to ensure efficient cargo operations.
- Travel Agency Management GDS/CRS Training and Airport Telephone Operations and Billing Course: This comprehensive course covers both GDS/CRS (Global Distribution Systems/Computer Reservation Systems) training, focusing on the utilization of reservation systems for airline ticketing and inventory management, as well as airport telephone operations and billing. Participants will learn to navigate reservation systems, manage ticket bookings and inventory, and provide excellent customer support in airport environments. The course also encompasses training in telephone system management, billing procedures, and tailored customer service techniques specific to the needs of airport settings.
- Airline Call Center and Customer Service: This course trains individuals to deliver excellent customer service within the airline industry. Participants will learn customer service techniques, reservation systems, and handling inquiries and complaints professionally.
- Airline Finance and Accounting Management: Participants in this course gain insights into budgeting, financial analysis, revenue management, and accounting principles specific to the airline sector.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and different aviation schools may offer additional specialized courses based on their curriculum and expertise. Researching individual aviation schools for more detailed information on the specific courses they offer is recommended.
School of Aviation Requirements
Aviation schools in Nigeria have requirements that applicants must meet to gain entrance into their programs. These requirements serve as a baseline to ensure students have the necessary academic qualifications and competencies to succeed in their chosen aviation courses.
1. Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- A minimum of five (5) credits in O’Level certificate, including credits in English and Mathematics.
- Additional subjects such as Physics and Geography may be advantageous for certain programs.
2. Age Requirements:
- For Pilot Course: Applicants must be at least 17 years old.
- For Flight Dispatcher Course: Applicants must be at least 21 years old.
3. Basic Entry Requirement:
- The minimum entry requirement for aviation programs is a minimum of O’Level (WAEC/NECO) result.
- Higher qualifications, such as OND, HND, B.Sc., etc., may also be accepted.
4. Competency and Academic Credentials:
- Applicants should demonstrate a minimum level of competency and provide proof of past academic credentials.
- Some advanced and professional-level courses may have additional qualification requirements.
- Minimum of WASC/GCE/NECO/SSCE or its equivalent with at least five Credits, including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English Language.
- National Diploma (ND) Programme:
- Minimum of WASC/GCE/NECO/SSCE NTC “O” Level with at least five Credits, including Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English Language.
- Minimum JAMB scores for polytechnics (180). Candidates who meet the JAMB score but did not select the specific aviation school are still eligible to apply.
Higher National Diploma (HND) Programmes:
- Candidates must possess a National Diploma with a minimum of Lower Credit Pass (CGPA of 2.50 and above) in relevant fields, such as Mechanical Engineering Technology, Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology, Aircraft Engineering Technology.
- Candidates with a National Diploma in Aviation Management/Business Administration/Public Administration with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 and one-year cognate working experience are also eligible.
Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Air Traffic Safety Electronics Engineering
Candidates must possess a BSc or HND in Electrical/Electronic or NCAT Diploma and Professional License or its equivalent.
Post Graduate Diploma in Aviation Management (PGDAM):
- Full-time program: Candidates must have either a minimum of a first Degree (BSc) from a recognized academic institution or a Higher National Diploma (HND) from a recognized academic institution with a minimum of two (2) years of working experience.
- Part-time program: Candidates must have either a minimum of a first Degree (BSc) from a recognized academic institution or a Higher National Diploma (HND) from a recognized academic institution with a minimum of two (2) years of working experience. NCAT Diploma and professional License or its equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years of working experience are also accepted.
Please note that specific aviation schools in Nigeria may have additional requirements or variations in their admission criteria. It is recommended to check the requirements of individual schools before applying.
How To Apply To Aviation Schools in Nigeria
Applying to Aviation schools in Nigeria requires careful planning and attention to detail. In this guide, we will outline the essential steps you need to follow in order to apply to an aviation school successfully.
- Research aviation schools based on your interests and goals.
- Visit the website of the school of your choice (Some of the aviation schools in Nigeria do not have a functioning website, so you may need to visit the school)
- Check the admission requirements for each school.
- Prepare the required documents (O’ level results, JAMB results. etc.)
- Fill out the application forms provided by the school you’re interested in.
- Submit your application and pay any necessary fees.
- Attend interviews or take entrance exams if required.
- Explore financial aid and scholarship options for aviation students.
- Review acceptance offers and compare factors like tuition, financial aid, and campus resources.
- Accept the offer from the school of your choice and follow their enrollment instructions.
It is important that these steps are simplified, and it’s essential to refer to each school’s specific requirements and instructions for a comprehensive application process.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Aviation Schools in Lagos and Their Fees?
Aviation schools in Lagos offer a range of training programs for aspiring aviation professionals. Some notable options include Dhaewood Aviation Business School with fees from ₦50,000 to ₦7.5 million, Universal School of Aviation with fees from ₦50,000 to ₦230,000, and Aeroconsult Aviation with fees from ₦95,000 to ₦800,000.
Other schools like Landover Aviation Business School, Javi Aviation Support Services, Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management, and Crew Training Institute also provide training at different price points. For specific fee details on other institutions such as Sky Aviation Training Center, Falcon Aviation Training, International Institute of Aviation Training, Institute of Aviation and Maritime Studies, Riteway Aviation School, Belgrade Aviation Training Institute, and Dot Aviation Training Institute, it is recommended to contact them directly for the most up-to-date information.
What are the aviation schools in Abuja and Their Fees?
In Abuja, notable aviation schools include the International Institute of Aviation & Shipping Technology, offering various courses such as aviation management and administration, with fees ranging from ₦100,000 to ₦180,000.
Mish Aviation Flying School, College of Aviation & Management Studies, Concept Training College of Aviation Studies Nigeria, and Midas Flying Training School also provide aviation training programs, although there is no information about their specific fees. It is recommended to contact each school directly for detailed information on their training programs and current fees.
How many aviation schools are in Nigeria?
Though the specific number of aviation schools is not known, we have about 40 aviation schools in Nigeria.