If you need help finding your National Identification Number (NIN), this article can guide you. It will give you simple instructions on how to check your NIN step by step and also give you steps to link your phone number to it.
In Nigeria, every citizen is required to have a NIN, which consists of 11 digits. It’s easy to forget this number, especially when you need it for various activities like digital identity verification, opening a bank account, or enrolling for a national passport. However, knowing your NIN is essential for many activities, including digital verification of your identity, opening a bank account, and even enrolling for a national passport.
If you want to check your NIN without having to go to the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) office, you can do so with your mobile phone. We will discuss how to check your NIN using the USSD code, how to know if your NIN card is ready, and more in this article.
The Code to Check NIN
Do you urgently need your NIN? Have you misplaced your NIN? Not to worry, the NIMC’s USSD service makes it simple for you to get your NIN on a cell phone.
It should be noted that the NIN code for MTN, Glo, Airtel or 9mobile are all the same, here is a simple way to check your NIN number:
- Simply dial the USSD code *346# on your mobile phone
- After that, Choose option 1 to retrieve.
- You would be asked for some necessary inputs. Give the required information as displayed on the screen.
- If the SIM card in the phone matches the one used for registration, then this process is applicable.
Note: Make sure you have a sufficient credit balance before starting the process because it will deduct 20 Naira from your airtime balance.
Is NIN important?
Yes, it is essential.
You cannot perform many operations in Nigeria without your national identification number (NIN). This is because it is now connected to almost all databases run by the government, including your bank account and mobile phone.
A NIN is required to receive a National e-ID card, a driver’s license, a voter card, or any other government social benefit. So it is necessary for almost anything you would do I’m Nigeria.
How Do I Link my Phone Number to NIN?
To prevent your phone number from being blocked, you must link it to your NIN after enrollment and once you have gotten it.
All network providers in Nigeria demand the linking of NIN. Follow the step-by-step explanation of how to connect your NIN to phone numbers from all Nigerian network providers below.
How to Link Your NIN to MTN Line
For MTN customers, there are four simple options you can use. Just pick the one that works perfectly for you. Here are the four options:
- Dial *785#, your national identity number, and the phone numbers you want to link, then send the request.
- Also available is *785*NIN#. Send a message to 785 with your national identity number in it.
- Open the myMTN app and provide the details required. Visit the MTN website and enter the necessary data.
How to Link Your NIN to the Glo line
Use one of the following methods to connect your Glo line to NIN:
- You can easily go to the Glo website and enter your information.
- Dial *109# on the phone associated with the Glo line you wish to link, then key in your NIN
- You also use SMS; Send a text message with the national identity number to 109.
How to Link NIN to Airtel Numbers
Any of the following methods can be used to connect your NiN to your Airtel phone number, ODU digits, and router/MiFi:
- Call your phone number and enter *121*1# followed by your NIN. Finally, press the “Send” button.
- Visit Airtel’s official website to obtain the information you need to connect your ODU numbers and router/MiFi.
How to link NIN to the 9mobile line
To link your NIN to your mobile numbers if you have a 9moble subscription, follow these simple steps:
- Enter your identification digits after pressing *996#.
- You can also access the 9mobile website and enter the necessary data there.
How to Check my NIN Number Online
Currently, the only way to check your NIN is on your phone using the USSD code *346#.
How to Know if Your National Identity Card is Ready
Visit the National Identity Management Commission [NIMC] website to see whether your National Identity Number (NIN) card is available for collection.
To see if your card is prepared and available at the activation centre, scroll down the homepage and click “e-ID Card Status Portal.”
After that, enter your first and last names and the NIMC check tracking ID, and click the “check now” icon.
How to Retrieve NIN Number
To retrieve your NIN (National Identification Number) you have to use the provided code, follow these steps:
- Dial *346# on your phone.
- From the options displayed, select “NIN Retrieval” by typing in ‘1’.
- Confirm that you are using the same phone number you enrolled with for your NIN.
- It will then clearly state that the process will cost N20
- Type 1 and your NIN will be shown on your screen
How to Get NIN Number
To obtain your National Identification Number (NIN), follow these steps:
- Go to the website www.nimc.gov.ng.
- Download the enrollment form from the website.
- Fill out the enrollment form using block letters.
- Once the form is filled out, proceed to the nearest NIMC enrollment center.
- At the enrollment center, your biometrics will be captured.
- After the biometrics capturing process, you will be issued your NIN.
It should be noted that, you can also pick up an enrollment form at NIMC’s Enrollment and Registration Centers (ERC). Ensure that you provide accurate information and follow the instructions given by the officials at the enrollment center to complete the process successfully.
How to Validate My NIN Online
By following the steps below, you should be able to validate your NIN online. Keep in mind it’s essential to use official and authorized platforms to ensure the security and accuracy of your information; here are the steps:
- Go to the official website of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) or the NIMC Verification Services website.
- Look for the “Verify NIN” button and click on it.
- Enter your NIN in the provided space.
- If prompted, enter the security code sent to your registered phone number or email.
- Check that the details associated with your NIN are correct.
- Click the “Submit” button.
How to Generate my Virtual NIN
There are two different methods to generating a virtual NIN, these are the methods and the steps to follow:
- Dial *346*3*YourNIN*AgentCode# on your mobile phone.
- Wait for a moment, and you will receive an SMS containing the Virtual NIN generated for you.
Using MWS Mobile App
- Download the MWS Mobile ID app: Ensure that you have the latest version of the MWS Mobile ID app installed on your device. You can find the app on both Android and iOS platforms.
- Enter your PIN
- Select “GET VIRTUAL NIN” button
- Click on the button with the “+” sign, usually located at the bottom right corner of the screen. This action starts the process of generating a Virtual NIN for the verifying Enterprise.
- Choose to either scan the Enterprise’s QR code or manually type in the Enterprise’s ID. This step ensures that the Virtual NIN generated is specific to the verifying Enterprise.
- Once you’ve selected the verification method, a Virtual NIN will be generated for you. This Virtual NIN is intended for use exclusively with the specific verifying Enterprise.
Checking your NIN is now easier than ever with the USSD code *346#. You can check your NIN status quickly and conveniently without having to visit a National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) office. With this service, you can now access your NIN status with just a few clicks on your phone.