|Full name||Jacobus Petrus Koos Bekker|
|Parents name||Father: Cornelius JansenMother:Deleen Erasmus|
|Date Of Birth||December 14, 1952|
|Net worth||2.3 billion dollars|
Koos Bekker’s net worth of $2.3 billion places him among Africa’s richest individuals. As the chairman of Naspers and a notable media mogul, Bekker has made a significant impact in the media landscape.
Bekker’s journey began in 1985, when he co-founded the M-Net/MultiChoice pay television business. Building on this success, he was the founding director of MTN, a telecommunications company, before taking the helm at Naspers as its chief executive in 1997.
Under Bekker’s guidance, Naspers rapidly expanded its operations, reaching an impressive presence in 130 countries. Notably, the company is listed on both the London Stock Exchange and Johannesburg Stock Exchange, boasting the largest market capitalization among media companies outside of the US, China, and India.
As of September 21, 2023, Bekker remains the non-executive chair of Naspers, overseeing the growth and expansion of the media group he helped transform.
In this article, we will explore the life, career, and investments of Koos Bekker. We will delve into how he amassed his $2.3 billion net worth and his impact on the global media industry. Read on to learn more about this South African billionaire who continues to shape the future of media and investments.
Koos Bekker Net Worth
Koos Bekker has achieved great success in his career, accumulating an estimated net worth of $2.3 billion. Forbes ranks him as the 11th wealthiest African and holds the 1272th position on Forbes‘ list of the world’s richest billionaires. In South Africa, he is among the top ten richest individuals, having the impressive third spot. Bekker’s substantial wealth is primarily derived from his investments in the media industry.
As the chairman of Naspers, a media group that operates in about 130 countries and is also listed on the London Stock Exchange and Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Bekker has played a pivotal role in its growth and success. Under his leadership, Naspers has strategically invested in pay television, mobile telephony, and various internet services. The company conducts business across Europe, Africa, Latin America, China, India, Russia, and other smaller countries.
Bekker’s net worth experienced a notable rebound, returning from a $ 200 million slump earlier this year. According to Forbes, his fortune increased by $100 million in just 66 days, reaching $2.5 billion as of July 14, 2023. This demonstrates his ability to recover and thrive in the face of economic fluctuations.
Koos Bekker’s impressive journey as a billionaire businessman has made him a prominent and influential figure in the business world. His outstanding achievements and strategic investments have solidified his position as one of the wealthiest individuals in Africa.
How Koos Bekker Makes His Money
Koos Bekker is widely recognized as the CEO of Naspers, a big company in the media and technology industry based in South Africa. Naspers, initially a newspaper publisher founded in 1915, experienced a significant transformation under Bekker’s leadership. He turned it into a powerful player in the internet and investment sectors, making it the most valuable company in Africa.
Bekker’s success can be attributed to his involvement in Naspers’ investment in Tencent, a Chinese social media and gaming giant, back in 2001. This highly lucrative investment made Naspers a significant Tencent shareholder worth billions of dollars. Bekker’s forward-thinking approach and willingness to embrace innovation gave Naspers an edge, allowing it to benefit from the internet revolution and make strategic investments.
In addition to his role at Naspers, Bekker co-founded M-Net/Multichoice, a prominent pay television business, in 1986. He also served as a founding director of MTN, a mobile communication company established in 1994. Today, Bekker is known as one of Africa’s billionaires, thanks to his remarkable achievements and contributions to transforming Naspers into a major force in e-commerce, investment, and cable TV.
Through his endeavours, Bekker has significantly increased his net worth, making him a highly influential and successful multinational businessman in the global market.
List of Koos Bekker Companies
Koos Bekker, the South African billionaire, has made significant contributions to the corporate world and beyond. He is associated with several prominent companies. Let’s take a closer look at these companies:
- Multichoice: In 1985, Bekker founded M-Net, which later became MultiChoice. This pioneering pay television company in South Africa attracted a loyal customer base through its innovative broadcasting and commitment to quality content. Bekker’s leadership was instrumental in the significant growth of MultiChoice in the pay television market. In 1997, he became the CEO of Naspers, the media conglomerate that owned MultiChoice. Naspers’ strategic acquisitions and investments in emerging markets solidified its position as a major global player in media and technology.
- Naspers: Bekker’s transformative leadership at Naspers, Africa’s largest publicly traded company, has been remarkable. Naspers engages in publishing, retail, and venture capital investments. As the Chairman, Bekker owns a controlling 0.85-percent stake in Naspers, the source of his substantial long-term wealth. Despite the recent closure of Naspers Foundry, a $100-million venture capital fund, due to the global impact of the Silicon Valley Bank collapse, Naspers continues to support startups in its portfolio through a $100-million fundraising initiative.
- The Newt in Somerset: Bekker and his wife, Karen Roos, purchased a 400-hectare property in Somerset, UK, in 2013, which they transformed into The Newt. This stunning estate includes a hotel, gardens, and a restaurant, offering visitors spiralling gardens, a spa, and a cider press. The hotel features 13 suites in a Georgian mansion and ten rooms in the original Stable Yard buildings. Notably, the property was renamed from Hadspen House to The Newt to reflect Bekker’s commitment to conserving and protecting endangered newts on the estate. The Newt is also known for its vast collection of apple tree cultivars.
- Babylorian Estate: Bekker and Karen Roos acquired Babylonstoren in 2007. This remarkable estate, spanning nearly 600 acres in the Western Cape region of South Africa, showcases beautifully restored architecture dating back to 1690. It features wide gardens, a boutique hotel, a restaurant, a spa, and farm-to-table eating options. Babylonstoren has gained global recognition for its historical significance, luxurious amenities, and stunning gardens, reflecting Bekker’s appreciation for design, beauty, and conservation.
- Prosus N.V.: Bekker also controls Prosus N.V., a global internet player and a part of the South African conglomerate Naspers. As an owner of 0.72 per cent of Prosus, Bekker’s stake contributes to his wealth. With a diverse portfolio of over 80 companies in various sectors such as fintech, social media, ed-tech, and food delivery, Prosus has previously made strategic moves, including selling its stake in JD.com Inc. for $3.67 billion and completing the sale of Russian online marketplace Avito to Kismet Capital Group for $2.46 billion. Bekker has divested $190.4 million worth of Prosus shares through a family trust, which are earmarked for hotel development in multiple countries.
These companies demonstrate Koos Bekker’s significant influence and achievements in various sectors, including media, technology, e-commerce, hospitality, and conservation.
Koos Bekker Biography
Koos Bekker was born in Potchefstroom, South Africa, on December 14, 1952. He grew up in Heidelberg, Gauteng Province, and attended Hoer Volkskool Heidelberg. He studied law and literature at Stellenbosch University and later pursued a law degree at Wits University. He also holds an MBA from Columbia Business School in New York and an honorary doctorate from Stellenbosch University.
Known as one of South Africa’s earliest millionaires, Koos Bekker has made his mark as a successful businessman. He has invested in various industries, including the Internet, newspapers, books, magazines, and education. His ventures have extended beyond Africa to countries like China, India, and Russia.
While at Naspers, a media company, he played a significant role in its growth. Under his leadership, the company’s value skyrocketed from $600 million to $25 billion. Additionally, Bekker co-founded M-Net, one of the first pay television services outside the United States.
Koos Bekker is happily married to Karen Roos Bekker, and they have a stable and supportive family. Currently residing in Cape Town, South Africa, they have been blessed with several children.
Bekker’s entrepreneurial journey and business accomplishments have been remarkable, catapulting him to prominence and earning him a net worth of $2.4 billion. His vision and successful ventures have contributed to his standing as a respected figure in the business world.
Koos Bekker’s Wife: (Karen Roos Bekker)
Karen Roos Bekker, the wife of billionaire businessman Koos Bekker, has made a name for herself as the designer and owner of the renowned Babylonstoren. This exquisite house in Cape Town, South Africa, has garnered widespread attention for its stunning decoration and luxurious features.
While only a little personal information about Karen Roos is available in the online media, her contribution to Babylonstoren speaks volumes. She has meticulously designed the house, including its lavish gardens and wine trees. The mansion itself holds significant historical significance, as it was built more than 250 years ago, in 1745.
Karen and Koos Bekker are known to be private individuals in their personal lives. They have chosen to maintain secrecy regarding details about their marriage and the names of their four children. Karen, in particular, prefers to stay away from the digital world, spending her time within the confines of their mansion with her children. In terms of net worth, Karen Roos’s wealth is not readily available.
Karen Roos Bekker’s dedication to creating a splendid living environment in Babylonstoren showcases her exquisite taste and attention to detail. As the wife and designer of such a renowned billionaire house, she has contributed to the couple’s influence and prominence in society. With Koos Bekker, Karen continues to lead a private and prosperous life, leaving a lasting impression on those who admire their accomplishments.
Koos Bekker Assets
Koos Bekker is known for showcasing his wealth. He owns many expensive houses in Cape Town worth billions of naira. Additionally, he possesses several wine estates in South Africa, including the famous Babylonstoren in Stellenbosch. Bekker also has properties in other locations, such as The Newt estate in Somerset, United Kingdom, valued at millions of pounds. Interestingly, he doesn’t own a car or a private jet, indicating he isn’t excessively focused on material possessions.
Koos Bekker Awards
He has received several prestigious awards and honours throughout his career, including.
- World Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame, World Entrepreneur Awards
- Best Entrepreneur, Ernst & Young/Rand Merchant Bank
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Business Times
- Honorary Doctorate in Commerce, University of Stellenbosch
- Appointed Member of Board, University of Stellenbosch, 2000 – present
- 1272th wealthiest person in the world, Forbes Rich List 2019
- 4th Wealthiest South African
- 11th Africa’s Billionaire, Forbes 2020
Koos Bekker, a successful South African businessman, made lots of money by investing in things like the internet, TV, and phone services. He helped turn a regular media company, Naspers, into a giant by investing in a big Chinese internet company called Tencent. This investment made him and Naspers very rich. He also co-founded other companies in TV and phones.
Bekker has around $2.3 billion, which makes him one of the richest people in Africa and the world. He’s known for buying fancy properties and helping with a famous garden place called Babylonstoren. He’s received many awards for his work, showing how important he is in the business world.
Frequently asked questions
How does Koos Bekker make his money?
He was compensated solely via stock option grants that vested over time. Under Bekker, Naspers invested in pay television, mobile telephony and various internet services. The group conducts business in Europe, Africa, Latin America, China, India, Russia, and smaller countries.
Who owns Nasper?
Naspers’ principal shareholder is its Dutch-listed investment subsidiary Prosus, which owns approximately 49% of its parent as part of a cross-ownership structure.
Who is Cato Bekker?
An experienced and accomplished TV, radio and documentary production professional with expertise in ideation and end-to-end content production that generates audience growth and satisfaction for channels and platforms.