Are you looking for how to make money online as a student? Don’t worry, we have got you covered in this blog. Being a student can be challenging, especially if you do not have the financial support you need.
Students can earn money without sacrificing their studies by offering translation services, content and copywriting services, blogging, tutoring online, content creation, data entry, influencer marketing, or social media management.
There are remote, part-time jobs available that require minimal experience and investment. Additionally, there are several apps that students can use to generate extra income to support their studies without compromising their education.
If you’re interested in making money online in Nigeria as a student, we have provided various avenues, methods, strategies, and tips to help you kick-start your online earning journey. Whether you’re looking to make a little extra money on the side or pursue online income as a full-time endeavour, we have an option that suits you best.
1. Content Creation
As a student looking to make money online, content creation can be a lucrative avenue to explore. Content creation involves developing and selling content using various AI tools such as Copy.ai or Jasper, which can help you create video scripts, articles, marketing copy, and more. Additionally, you can become a content creator by producing digital content in specific domains on your social media pages.
For example, you could create content on topics like healthy eating habits, sports, culinary arts, or any domain you are passionate about. You can monetize your page and earn money as your content gains followers, likes, and shares.
The more engagement your content receives, the more you can get paid by social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. Furthermore, you can use your social media handles for advertising and promoting goods and services for local and international companies local and international companies and get paid for your efforts.
However, it’s important to note that standing out in this domain requires research, hard work, and consistency, as it has become highly competitive. But with dedication and the right approach, content creation can be a rewarding way for students to make money online while pursuing their studies.
How To Get Started
- Choose Your Niche: Identify a niche that aligns with your interests and expertise.
- Research and Learn: Stay updated with your chosen domain’s industry trends and content strategies.
- Select Your Platform: Choose platforms suitable for your content format and target audience.
- Create Quality Content: Generate engaging, high-quality content that adds value to your audience.
- Build Your Brand: Establish a unique brand identity that reflects your personality.
- Engage Your Audience: Actively interact with your audience to build a loyal following.
- Monetise Your Content: Explore opportunities for sponsored content, affiliate marketing, and advertising.
- Stay Consistent: Regularly publish content and engage with your audience to maintain momentum and growth.
Vlogging, or video blogging, has recently emerged as one of the most promising career pursuits. Similar to a blog in written format, vlogging involves sharing video-based content with the audience to engage them. There are several popular vlogging platforms where you can share your content, including YouTube, Twitch IRL, Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and TikTok.
As a student looking to make money online, vlogging can be a lucrative avenue to explore. By creating engaging and informative video content on topics that interest you, you can attract an audience and potentially monetise your vlogs through advertising, sponsorships, and other revenue streams. With dedication, creativity, and consistency, vlogging can offer students a unique opportunity to earn money while pursuing their studies.
How To Get Started
- Choose the topics or themes you’re passionate about.
- Invest in a good camera, microphone, and lighting.
- Select Your Platform
- Create Engaging Content: Start making and sharing genuine and captivating vlogs.
- Monetisation and Consistency: Explore ways to monetise your vlogs and strive for regular, consistent content creation to grow your audience and potential income.
3. Affiliate Marketing:
Affiliate marketing is a lucrative opportunity for students to earn money online by promoting products or services from other companies. By joining affiliate programs of reputable brands or signing up on affiliate networks like Jumia, Konga, Amazon Associates, Jiji, and others, students can incorporate unique affiliate links into their content to earn commissions when their audience makes purchases through these links.
Affiliate marketing aims to establish trust with your audience by providing genuine recommendations and valuable insights about the products or services you are promoting. This mutually benefits both the affiliate marketer and the owner of the affiliate product. Students can leverage their social media handles or other online platforms to increase the sales of a company’s goods and services and earn compensation for their efforts.
Affiliate marketing provides students with a flexible way to earn money online without the need for significant investment or prior experience. Students can generate income by effectively promoting products or services that align with their audience’s interests while balancing their academic responsibilities.
How To Get Started
- Sign up for programs on platforms like Jumia Affiliate, Expertnaire, Amazon Associates, etc.
- Create a blog, social media presence, or YouTube channel.
- Incorporate affiliate links into helpful and engaging content.
- Use social media, SEO, and email marketing to reach your audience.
- Be honest and provide genuine recommendations.
4. Online Tutoring
Online tutoring is another fantastic way for Nigerian students to make money online. If you have internet access and a knack for teaching, you can earn a substantial income by sharing your knowledge with others. Online tutoring allows you to engage with students using platforms like Zoom and Google Meet, providing flexibility and the opportunity to earn in various currencies.
Whether you want to tutor primary and secondary school students or even college students, you can do so from the comfort of your hostel or apartment. You can sign up with virtual tutoring platforms like Udemy, SkillShare, Coursera, or reach out to friends and relatives on social media to broadcast your online tutoring classes.
The requirements for online tutoring are minimal, and little monetary investment is involved. While tutoring might not be a viable full-time job, it can be a rewarding part-time endeavour, and if you show an aptitude for teaching, you can explore teaching jobs in your area of study.
Additionally, if you have expertise in a particular subject, you can create and sell online courses on platforms like Udemy, Teachable, or Coursera. By developing and promoting a structured course curriculum through social media and targeted advertisements, you can monetise your knowledge while helping others gain valuable skills.
Websites like Tuteria, Tutor.com, Skooli, Wyzant, TutorMe, and Varsity Tutors provide opportunities for students to offer tutoring services according to their hours, making online tutoring a flexible and lucrative option for students looking to make money online.
How To Get Started
Here are a few simplified steps to get started with online tutoring:
- Identify your expertise and the subjects or skills you want to tutor in.
- Choose an online tutoring tool, such as Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, or a specialised tutoring platform.
- Set up a comfortable and quiet workspace, ensuring you have the necessary equipment and teaching materials.
- Advertise your tutoring services through social media, online classifieds, or by creating your website.
Dropshipping is a business model which allows individuals to sell goods without owning inventory or a physical store. In this model, the seller partners with a drop shipper who handles the inventory and shipping process. When a customer orders, the seller confirms the product’s availability, and the dropshipper ships the order directly to the customer. This eliminates the need for upfront investment in inventory and allows the seller to focus on marketing and customer service.
Platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, and Etsy allow students to create online stores and sell products that align with their interests and passions. Additionally, students can explore the dropshipping business model, partnering with suppliers who handle inventory and shipping. This offers flexibility and scalability, allowing students to run their businesses alongside their studies.
It’s important to note that while dropshipping presents an opportunity to make money online, it’s essential to maintain a good reputation and provide excellent customer service to build trust and reliability. If you’re interested in learning more about dropshipping, you can access a detailed dropshipping guide from Shopify to help you get started.
How to Get Started
To get started with dropshipping in a few steps:
- Choose a niche and research suppliers for the products you want to sell.
- Set up an online store using platforms e.g Shopify or WooCommerce.
- Determine pricing, policies, and marketing strategies to attract customers.
Following these steps, you can begin your dropshipping business and sell products online.
Blogging is an excellent avenue for those who enjoy writing and want to share their thoughts and expertise with the world. It provides an opportunity to create valuable content and monetise it through various channels such as advertisements, sponsored content, and selling digital products like e-books or online courses.
To start a blog, you have to purchase a domain from sites such as GoDaddy, Hostinger, Bluehost, SiteGround, or DreamHost. Once you have your domain, you can use platforms like WordPress or Blogger to develop a content strategy and consistently publish well-researched articles. By identifying a niche you are passionate about, you can attract an audience and potentially generate revenue from your blog.
In Nigeria, blogging has become popular and profitable, allowing individuals to earn income through sponsorships, ads, and partner programs. With the emergence of platforms like Medium and Substack, setting up and monetising a blog has become more accessible, making it easier for aspiring bloggers to share their content and potentially earn revenue from their writing.
How to Get Started
- Choose your niche based on your passions, expertise, and potential audience to target.
- Select a user-friendly and customisable blogging platform like WordPress, Blogger, or Medium.
- Create high-quality, original content that provides value and resonates with your target audience.
- Promote your blog through social media, email newsletters, and other online channels to increase visibility.
- Engage with your audience by responding to comments and building community.
7. Virtual Assistant:
Virtual assistants are remote workers who provide administrative services to clients. As a virtual assistant, you may be responsible for tasks such as responding to emails, making phone calls, and organising your client’s schedule.
Once you become proficient in this role, you can balance your work and academic responsibilities. However, acquiring the necessary skills to be an effective virtual assistant may require some training. The good news is that several short online courses are available to help you get started in this field.
How to Get Started
Getting started with a virtual assistant can be easy. Here are some short steps to help you get started:
- Decide on the virtual assistant platform you want to use, such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, or Apple Siri.
- If necessary, purchase and set up any hardware compatible with your chosen virtual assistant, such as a smart speaker or smartphone.
- Download and install the virtual assistant app on your smartphone or other compatible devices.
- Customise the virtual assistant settings according to your preferences, including language, voice, and privacy settings.
- Begin interacting with your virtual assistant by asking questions, setting reminders, controlling smart home devices, or performing other tasks supported by the platform.
Freelancing has become a lucrative avenue for individuals with specialised skills to earn money online. Whether you have writing, graphic design, programming, or digital marketing talents, you can leverage online platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr to showcase your skills and connect with potential clients. By creating a captivating profile highlighting your expertise and bidding on relevant projects, freelancing can provide a sustainable income stream with determination and dedication.
For students, freelancing offers a flexible way to earn money while balancing work and studies. Platforms like Upwork and Fiverr provide opportunities for students to take up part-time gigs and monetise their skills online. Whether it’s graphic design, translating, social media marketing, proofreading, editing, virtual assistant work, or customer care, there are various online services that students can offer to clients. Working as a freelancer allows individuals to work at their own pace while remaining efficient and professional. Applying for online jobs that suit your skills is also advisable, enabling you to work at your convenience and leverage your expertise to earn money online.
How to Get Started
- Identify your skills and services.
- Create a portfolio showcasing your work.
- Sign up on freelancing platforms like Upwork or Fiverr.
- Set your rates and create compelling job proposals.
- Deliver high-quality work and build your reputation.
9. Data Entry:
Another option for students looking to earn money online without investment is data entry jobs. Since it offers flexibility, this can be a good option for part-time work.
All you need to do is register at a trusted website like Freelancer, Data Plus, Axion Data Entry Services, or Guru, and you can start accepting data entry jobs from companies worldwide. However, remember to check their legitimacy before transferring your account details.
Data entry jobs involve adding, changing, or fixing information in online databases. You get paid a small amount for this work. It’s a way for students to earn money online without needing advanced computer skills.
Some data entry jobs involve answering surveys and giving feedback on products or services, instead of working with databases. These jobs can be done from anywhere, at any time, and are open to Nigerian students.
How to Get Started
To get started with data entry, follow these simple steps:
- Polish your typing skills for speed and accuracy.
- Familiarise yourself with standard data entry software like Microsoft Excel.
- Look for data entry jobs on freelancing platforms or job boards.
- Apply for positions that match your skills and experience.
- Start working on data entry tasks and aim for efficiency and precision.
By following these steps, you can begin your journey into the field of data entry.
10. Online Surveys:
These are some of the reputable platforms that offer opportunities to earn money through online surveys and microtasks. By signing up with websites like Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, Paid Viewpoint, LifePoints, YouGov, Panda Research, Ipsos i-Say, Opinion Outpost, MindSwarms, Pinecone Research, MySurvey, and American Consumer Opinion, you can participate in surveys, watch videos, or perform small online tasks to earn extra cash. While the income from these activities may be insignificant, they provide a quick and easy way to make additional money, which can add up over time.
How to Get Started
Getting started with an online survey is relatively straightforward. Here are some simple and short steps to help you get started:
- Research survey sites like SurveyMonkey, Toluna and Swagbucks.
- Sign up and create a detailed profile on your chosen site.
- Regularly complete surveys by opening invitation emails.
- Aim to take multiple surveys per day/week to maximize earnings.
- Keep surveying until you meet the cash out minimum balance.
- Cash out using your preferred payment method like gift cards.
The key is to sign up, build your profile, consistently take surveys, and keep cashing out as you reach the minimum thresholds.
In conclusion, Nigerian students have diverse opportunities to earn money online, such as through content creation, affiliate marketing, tutoring, dropshipping, blogging, virtual assistant work, freelancing, data entry, and online surveys.
With dedication and the right approach, students can successfully balance earning money online with their studies, leveraging their skills and passions. The digital landscape offers a wealth of resources to facilitate these income-generating activities, promoting financial independence and professional growth within the constraints of academic responsibilities.